Social media has been raving over the performance by pop star, Beyoncé at the2018 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on Saturday night DJ Khalid even tagged the festival ‘beychella’. Wondering what the fuss is all about, here are 10 notable reasons her performance broke the internet.
- Beyoncé is the first black woman to ever headline the show.
2. She brought back Destiny Child to give audiences a feel of the incredible 90s
3. Who could forget her ever epic appearance with hubby, Jay Z.
4. A stream of dancers (approximately 100) wearing custard yellow costumes made everything way too perfect.
5. Her wardrobe was custom made Balmain and paid tribute to the ‘Africaness’ in the superstar.
6. Do we have to mention her dance off with sister, Solange.
7. To hell with lip-syncing, Queen Bey sang her voice out belting out every note and was accompanied with a 200-person band. Talk about bringing church, New Orleans festival and college to stage.
8. Yep! The performance was almost 2-hour long
9. She incorporated vocal snippets of Malcolm X and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and nodded at Ms. Simone’s “Lilac Wine.”
10. As a Nigerian, I should note that the Queen paid tribute to the King of Afrobeat, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, with her band performing a rendition of the legend’s classic 1976 track, “Zombie”