New reports allege that South Africans have launched new xenophobic attacks on Nigeria; the Nigerian Community in South Africa, say, four members are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops have been burnt.
Mr Paul Nwanedo, chairman, Nigerian Union, North West Province chapter said on the telephone from Rustenburg that the attacks against Nigerians began on Sunday. He said that taxi drivers in Rustenburg alleged that a Nigerian abducted and raped a 16-year-old South African girl and also alleged that Nigerians sold drugs to a local gang that attacked their members. This is absolutely untrue. We have investigated and found out that the allegations are false. The union is worried about the safety of our members in Rustenburg,” he said.
Nwanedo said that four Nigerians caught by the taxi drivers were beaten and are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops belonging to Nigerians had been torched.
Mr Adetola Olubajo, President of the union, said that the national secretariat had been informed about the incident at Rustenburg. Investigation by the union shows that no Nigerians abducted or raped a South African girl. Indeed, no Nigerian has been arrested for the offence and we are worried about the turn of events.